The Manager and Scrum
February 23rd, 2007 | 1 comment
Jeff Sutherland posted notes from an open space hosted by Jens Ostergaard on Nov 2006. The subject was the role of manager in a Scrum.
- provide strategic vision, business strategy, and resources,
- remove impediments surfaced by Scrum teams that the teams cannot remove themselves,
- ensure growth and career path of employees, and
- challenge teams to move beyond mediocrity
For me, introducing agile practices has been evolutionary not revolutionary – five years work, three title changes and counting. My role is to make sure the team’s accomplishments build towards something progressively more and more valuable for the company and the individual team members.
In my experience, this involves facilitating a conversation between the business and the team on at least three levels:
- Product owner and product team,
- Organization and employees, and
- Leadership’s grand vision and the team’s accomplishments.
I’ll go into this in more detail in later posts.